Narberth Police Department

"Community Policing Since 1891." 

What do you mean I didn't stop at the stop sign?

No, you didn't. Slowing at the stop sign without coming to a complete stop (AKA a "South Philly Stop") does not in any way constitute a lawful stop at the stop sign. Full and complete stops are free. Running a stop sign will cost you over $100! Adhere to the stop signs!

Does Narberth have a curfew?

No. Please continue to look after your children so that one does not need to be enacted!

Can you (the police) scare my child so I can instill fear and respect in them?

No. Sadly, this is a common request, and we ask that you do not put us in that position. In our efforts in improving our community policing we strive to enhance our daily relations with the public. Acting on this request would work against that goal and would instill fear in the police in the future. Children need to know that the police in your neighborhood is always approachable and ready to help. We do not want a child to hesitate to approach the police for any reason. Discipline and respect in your child needs to be instilled from your family unit.

What about Abandoned Vehicles?

Abandoned vehicles are a nuisance as well as an eyesore. Don’t let abandoned vehicles ruin the look on your block.

Under Pennsylvania‘s Motor Vehicle law, a vehicle is considered abandoned if:

  • It’s left on a highway or public property in an inoperable condition for more then 48 hours.
  • It’s left illegally on a highway or public property.
  • It’s left on a highway or public property for more then 48 hours and does not have a valid license plate, inspection sticker or VIN.
  • It’s left on private property without the owners consent for more then 48 hours.
  • Any vehicle may be removed by the Narberth Police Department.
  • All abandoned vehicles will be posted by the Police allowing Seven days prior to being towed by Police.

How do I get a copy of a Police Report? (Incident or Accident)

Reports can be obtained during normal office hours 8:00AM to 4:00PM Monday through Friday at the Narberth Police Station. You may pay for the report by cash, money order or business check only. NO PERSONAL CHECKS. Police incident reports are $15.00, accident reports are $15.00; some reports are not available for release. Please call ahead for the status of the report at (610)664-8160. Reports that are part of a pending investigation may not be available. Please allow 5 days for the accident report to be completed. If your insurance company requests a copy of the accident report they must also include the date and location of the accident, your name, address and phone number and the accident report number if available. They must send in a check in the amount of $15.00 and a self-addressed stamped envelope.

Can you fax me a Police Report?

No, we don’t fax reports. Refer to the section on How Can I get a copy of a Police Report.

How Can I get a Concealed Weapon Permit?

Contact the sheriffs department located on the first floor of the Montgomery County Court House, Swede and Airy Streets in Norristown to apply for a concealed weapons permit. In the information you receive from the Sheriff’s office, you will find a card for a local police check. Fill out the top of the local police check and drop it off at the Narberth Police Department, Monday-Friday, between 8:00AM to 4:00PM. Generally it will be ready within 5 days. You must appear in person to pick up the records check.

Does Narberth have a snow ordinance?

Yes. Chapter 109: Snow and Ice Removal:

109-1. Duty to Remove:

Whenever snow shall have fallen or ice shall have accumulated on the sidewalk or sidewalks of any property in the Borough of Narberth, it shall be the duty of the owner, occupant or tenant, and such owner, occupant or tenant is hereby required, to remove such snow or ice within 24 hours of the time when the fall of snow shall have ceased or the accumulation of ice shall have occurred and to provide a clear and unobstructed passage for the full width of pavement as laid; provided, however, that when, by reason of unusual weather conditions, such snow shall have melted and then been frozen or when ice shall have accumulated on the sidewalk or sidewalks in such a manner as to resist removal, then in such cases such owners, occupants or tenants shall be required to remove the loose snow or ice and cover the remainder with sand, sawdust or other such material as may be approved by the Borough Manager or the Borough Highway Committee. Should snow or ice reaccumulate on the sidewalk or sidewalks of any property in the Borough of Narberth due to children at play, plowing operations or for any other reason, it is the responsibility of the owner, occupant or tenant to again see to it's removal.

109-2. Removal by borough upon noncompliance:

If such owner, occupant or tenant shall not have removed such snow or ice or covered the ice as provided in 109-1 of this chapter, then the Borough Manager, at his discretion or at the direction of the Mayor, may have such snow or ice removed or ice covered, or both, at the then-current rates prevailing for labor and materials at the cost of such owner, occupant or tenant. The removal of snow or ice or the covering of ice by the Borough Manager as herein provided shall in no manner relieve said owner, occupant or tenant from the imposition of penalties herein provided.

Are motorized or electric scooters legal to ride on the streets?

The use of motorized or electric scooters on the highways or streets is illegal and their use is inherently dangerous. They do not meet vehicle code requirements and the operator is also required to have a valid PA driver’s license. These scooters can be operated on private property with the property owner’s permission.

What about a Dog License?

Dogs are required to be licensed annually. You can pick up your Dog License application at the Police station during normal business hours.

1. Complete all information on the Dog License Application
2. Make your check or money order payable to County Treasurer
3. Enclose a self-addressed stamped envelope
4. Mail your completed application & fee to:

Montgomery County Treasurer
P.O. Box 311
Norristown, Pa. 19404-0311

*Remember that dogs are required to be on a leash at all times and please remember to clean up after your dog's mess!

What about Child Abuse?

Children are our most precious resource. Each child deserves the chance to grow up free from neglect or physical, sexual, and emotional abuse.
If you believe that a child is being abused, you have several options:
1. You may contact the Narberth Police Department at (610)664-8160.
2. You may call 911.
3. Call CHILDLINE, Pa's toll-free Child Abuse Hotline: 1-800-932-0313

What about Domestic Violence?

If you or someone you know is a victim of domestic violence, Narberth Police stands ready to help. Police officers will respond quickly to assaults, and will arrest abusers within the guidelines allowable by law. Officers will also assist victims in obtaining and enforcing protection from abuse orders. (PFA)PFA self help guides may be obtained at the police station. PFA’s can be filed against:

  • a family or household member
  • a current or former sexual or intimate partner
  • the parent of your child

“Family or household member” includes at least:

  • your current or former spouse
  • person who lives or lived with you like a spouse
  • your parent
  • your child
  • your brother or sister
  • a family member related by blood or marriage

To obtain a PFA you must fill out a PFA form available through the Women’s center or at the Prothonotary’s Office at the Montgomery County Court House in Norristown. A women’s center advocate is available in the prothonotary’s office between 10:00AM and 3:00PM to answer any of your questions.
There is a cost for filing a PFA. The fee is $125.00, plus $53 for Sheriffs service costs. A $25.00 State Police surcharge is paid by the defendant
However you can file for free. You must fill out an affidavit of inability to pay (it’s on the petition form).

Additional resources for victims of domestic violence:

  • Laurel House-hot line 800-642-3150
  • National Domestic Violence Hotline- phone # 800-799-SAFE
  • Women’s Center of Montgomery County- hotline 800-773-2424

What about fingerprinting?

Fingerprinting is provided for any Borough resident or Borough business for a ($15.00) fee. ($5.00 ea. additional fingerprint card.) Acceptable forms of payment are cash or money orders only. Typically fingerprints may be required for various licensing requirements, such as the Securities and Exchange Commission, insurance brokers, bar examinations, adoptions and state teacher’s certification. Appointments for fingerprinting may be made by calling the Police Department during normal office hours. Anyone needing fingerprints must bring photo ID.

What should you do if you receive a Traffic Citation?

We know it's never pleasant for a citizen to be ticketed. But for everyone's safety, the Narberth Police Department takes its responsibility for enforcement of traffic laws seriously. When cited, you have two options:

1. You may plead guilty by contacting the District Court listed on the citation and arranging payment of the fine and costs.

2. You may plead not guilty by contacting the District Court listed on the citation and arranging a date for a hearing before the District Justice. The officer who issued the citation will also appear at your hearing. You may be required by the District Court to post the amount of your fine and costs prior to your day in court. You will receive these funds back following the hearing if you are found not guilty.

The District Court covering the Borough of Narberth is:

Judge Michael "Sam" Quinn
116A Cricket Ave.
Ardmore, Pa. 19003


FAX: (610)896-8601

My Identity has been stolen, what can I do?

Identity Theft is when someone obtains a person’s identifying information, such as name, address, date of birth, social security number or mother’s maiden name. Using this information illegally, an imposter can open new credit card accounts, drain your bank accounts, purchase automobiles, apply for loans and open utility services and on and on. No matter how cautious you are, you cannot guarantee that a criminal will not obtain your information.

Call and make a report with the police department.

Notify all your creditors and financial institutions in writing and by phone that your name and accounts have been used without your permission. Ask for new cards and account numbers.

Report the crime to the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) at 1-877-IDTHEFT, they collect complaints about ID thefts and are available to law Enforcement agencies.

Contact the fraud units of the three major credit reporting agencies: Equifax 1-800-525-6285; Experian 1-888-397-3742; Trans Union 1-800-680-7289. Ask them to place a fraud alert on your credit report to help prevent new fraudulent accounts from being opened. As an ID fraud victim, you are entitled to a free copy of your credit report.
If your bank accounts have been tampered with, close those accounts, destroy any checks and cut up any ATM cards. Ask for password protection when opening new accounts.

If your checks have been stolen or misused, stop payments on all checks. Open a new account and reissue checks to legitimate creditors. Ask your bank to notify its verification company to stop giving approval for any of the stolen checks.

Check your credit report every six months for several years after your identity was stolen.

Stop into the Police Department during normal business hours for free pamphlets for additional information and steps how to prevent Identity Theft.   

Do I really have to heed that temporary "NO LEFT TURN" sign that's posted on Sunday mornings at Windsor and Narberth Ave.?

Yes. That sign is placed at that intersection on Sunday mornings from 6:00 a.m. until 2:00 p.m. by the Narberth Police Department as a courtesy to the residents of Narberth. Leave it in place. The police will remove it when appropriate. Yes, you can and will be cited if you disregard or move it!