MAKE SURE YOU LOCK YOUR CAR DOORS AND DON'T LEAVE ANYTHING VALUABLE INSIDE IT!
Unfortunately the area has seen a recent rash of thefts from automobiles. Be sure to lock your car doors after parking it. Do not leave any valuables inside the cars either. Things like personal identifications, United States Currency and laptops have been stolen from parked cars in the area. Don't become a statistic!
DON'T FALL FOR PHONE SCAMS!
Recently there has been a nationwide uptick in phone scams. Don't give out your personal financial information to anyone, even if they sound official. If it's important have them mail you correspondence and tell them you'll respond accordingly. Here is a link to one such scam the IRS is warning citizens about: http://www.irs.gov/uac/Newsroom/IRS-Reiterates-Warning-of-Pervasive-Telephone-Scam
MAKE SURE YOUR HOUSE NUMBER IS PROMINENTLY DISPLAYED ON THE FRONT OF YOUR HOUSE!
This may seem like an unimportant detail, but having your house number prominently displayed on the front of your house helps first responders find your residence quickly in the case of an emergency. If first responders have to search up and down the street to determine the exact address we are responding to, it could mean additional minutes added to our response time. This is especially true during night hours. You should view your house from the street and ask yourself, "is my numerical address clearly visible during the day and night?" If the answer is no, consider trimming trees, shrubs or bushes that may be in the way, using a different color to make the numbers stand out better against the backdrop of the home they are mounted on, or simply repositioning the numbers altogether.
PAY ATTENTION TO THE STREET SIGNS!
Please pay attention to the speed limits (25 MPH), stop signs and one way signs in the Borough!
OBEY THE SPEED LIMIT!!!
Narberth is a beautiful town, slow down and enjoy it! Remember to come to a full stop at all stop signs also - don't just tap the brakes and continue forward. Full stops are free, rolling stops are expensive! Please drive safely, we have many children in the town, but none to spare!
1. LOCK YOUR DOORS! Yes, Narberth is a beautiful and peaceful neighborhood, and everyone knows everyone. It's for these reasons that outsiders target neighborhoods such as ours! While at home, keeping your doors locked will keep any unwanted "guests" from entering while you are at home. When you leave, lock your doors to ensure that no intruders decide to help themselves to your property in your absence!
2. Alarm systems are very helpful not only to you, but also to police. In the case that someone is prowling the neighborhood in search of an easy target to steal from, an alarm system may make a ne'er - do - well skip your house and search for an easier target. As with everything in life, the path of least resistance is usually the common route that a thief will take. Their goal is to enter your home, take what they can scrounge as quickly as possible, and exit expeditiously without raising any alarms. If a burglar does enter your home, the alarm will draw the police's attention faster, enabling us to respond faster and increase the chances of catching that person or persons.
3. Camera systems are increasingly being used to both help police and also monitor properties. One of the first things the police will look for in the event of any serious incident involving the loss of life or property is any recording devices that may help the police to find the suspect and also to account for the series of events that took place leading up to and after the crime.
4. CALL THE POLICE!!! This may seem like a simple and obvious statement, but it needs to be stated and restated! If you see something or someone that is amiss, call us! Often times people's subconscious will tell them that something is just not right but then your conscious state makes excuses for what you are observing and may lead you to disregard an event. Go with your gut feeling and call us. Don't get involved - there is no need to put yourself in danger, that's what we, the police are paid for. Call the police and let us decide whether or not a person or circumstance warrants further investigation. You never know, the tip you are providing may enable us to catch a criminal in the act or just prior to committing one, or may be the break we've been looking for!
5. When you are away from home and especially if you are out of town - leave your lights or put them on a timer, have a neighbor collect your mail, and have someone shovel your snow / cut your grass. These are all indicators that thieves can look for to see if someone has been away from home for an extended period of time! Also, don't forget that the Narberth Police Department offers a vacant house check program. (For more info check out our "Department Programs" section.)